The Silent Sister

The Silent Sister

RRP: £99
Price: £9.9
£9.9 FREE Shipping

In stock

We accept the following payment methods

Description

This novel was a real pleasant surprise for me. I usually read thrillers, but I entered the Giveaway contest for this book as the plot looked interesting. It wasn't long before I was pulled into the story and was totally engrossed thereafter. I read the book in 4 days which is really fast for me. I will not re-summarize the plot, only to say that the author does an excellent job in depicting the potentially devastating consequences when family members are not honest with each other. That said I will still read her next novel, because one mishap in my book, does not mean I will not giver her another chance. I have loved many of her books in the past. Lizzy Beresford is living a happy life with her boyfriend Joe until she starts receiving disturbing letters from an anonymous person. The slightly threatening letters leave Lizzy scared for her safety and not trusting anyone fearing they may be the perpetrator. There are a number of possibilities and Lizzy starts to doubt everyone's involvement. Lizzy Beresford starts receiving disturbing letters from someone and it sends chills down her spine. But who could be sending them - a stalker? The mysterious sender seems to know everything about Lizzy, but how? She suddenly begins to doubt those that are the closest to her - her boyfriend, her estranged sister, her best friend, even her neighbors. As these letters increase she realizes that they won't stop until they have destroyed her life. Will Lizzy discover who sent these mysterious letters before it's too late?

Silent Sisters | Wiki of Westeros | Fandom Silent Sisters | Wiki of Westeros | Fandom

Lizzy is loved up with her boyfriend Joe, living in a quaint cottage she rents from the man who she manages a shop for. Her life isn't perfect as she hasn't spoken to her sister for quite a few years but otherwise it's good until she starts receiving disturbing letters. Incredibly gripping and emotionally powerful, The Silent Sister is perfect for fans of Jodi Picoult and Liane Moriarty. There is a good buildup to the end with a series of events, and the story does not let up. There is a double twist & revelation at the end (quite unnecessary in my opinion as the story was great as it).

Lizzy was likeable in some ways, didn't like her boyfriend Joe, I felt she could do better than him. On the whole, she was not a strong main character. Joe was a horrible boyfriend, controlling and suspicious. She spent 5 years or so with him, how? He even went to prison for violence. Why would any self-respecting, independent woman stay with such a man? The rest of the characters played their part, some of them were mere props. All right." I was glad she'd made the decision for me. I smiled. "I hope Fred Marcus doesn't mind, whoever he is." I turned toward the door. From the bestselling author of The Secret Mother and The Child Next Door, this utterly addictive psychological thriller will have you gasping at every twist and will make you question everyone you know. If you loved Gone Girl, The Girl on the Train and The Sister this book is for you.

The Silent Sister: A Novel - Diane Chamberlain - Google Books The Silent Sister: A Novel - Diane Chamberlain - Google Books

I found this to be an interesting story with an underlying message about the cost of withholding secrets from family for their sake. The toll it took on Riley's self perception and her damaged brother, Danny, was immeasurable. I thought it was an apt illustration of good intentions gone awry. The first thing I needed to do was stop at this post office, ten miles outside of New Bern. I'd get that out of the way and cross one thing off my list. Digging the flimsy white postcard from my purse, I went inside the building. I was the only customer, and my tennis shoes squeaked on the floor as I walked up to the counter where a clerk waited for me. With her dark skin and perfect cornrows, she reminded me of Sherise, so I liked her instantly. While many people have loved this, I had some issues with it. The bulk of the story dragged and it was quite repetitive. Lizzy was too wishy-washy for me--I don’t mind having a character who second guesses themselves, but having her go out for a drink with someone immediately after they threatened her was a bit too much. Also, her relationship with Joe made me cringe.Long story short, I loved putting the pieces of the puzzle together but anything that happened afterwards lost my interest, as stated above. Though not my favorite from this author, I’m still a huge fan of hers because she wrote one of my favorite women’s fiction stories - The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes. My recommendation for The Silent Sister is pretty flimsy but not for The Secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes! If you want a truly stunning women’s fiction novel with political intrigue, romance, mystery, and suspense, give that book a shot! It’s one of my favorites. Lizzy lives in a cottage with her boyfriend and one day she finds a letter in her home that she's unsure of where it came from. No one else should have access to their place and before long Lizzy finds more disturbing notes. The two women are very different in personality, but intricately tied with one another and with their own respective flaws. I thought the first two thirds of the book were excellent, taking me along for the journey into the relationships and mystery surrounding their separation and how this all came to pass. I liked especially how Chamberlain managed to portray certain facts that were unknown by each of the characters and used that to heighten the tension for when certain revelations were handed down as the story progressed.

The Silent Twins (2022) - IMDb The Silent Twins (2022) - IMDb

I carried my duffel bag upstairs, where a wide hallway opened to four rooms. The first was my father’s bedroom with its quilt-covered queen-sized bed. The second room had been Danny’s, and although he hadn’t slept in our house since leaving at eighteen— escaping, he would call it—it would always be “Danny’s room” to me. The third room was mine, though in the years since I’d lived in the house, the room had developed an austere air about it. I’d cleaned out my personal possessions bit by bit after college. The memorabilia from my high school and college years—pictures of old boyfriends, yearbooks, CDs, that sort of thing—were in a box in the storage unit of my Durham apartment waiting for the day I got around to sorting through them.Family Secrets make for wonderful stories and I really enjoy novels where family secrets are at the centre of the story. Good characterization and an easy to follow plot which had plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader interested. There were a couple of instances in the novel that I questioned and was doubtful about how they could have occurred but overall I enjoyed the read and could recommend it to readers who want an easy and engaging read.

Jennifer Gibbons, The ‘Silent The Strange Story Of June And Jennifer Gibbons, The ‘Silent

Overall, this is an outstanding novel. Highly recommended. If you enjoy psychological thrillers you'll have a hard time putting this one down! There are a few things I found wrong with this book which makes it impossible for me to give it more than 2-stars. And sadly, it's not because of the writing which is not bad at all. It's simply so darn predictable this novel. From beginning to end it is predictable. The characters, even Riley, are paper thin, and I almost felt like one storyline (with the crazy RV park couple) was too neatly tossed away and sewn up. I mean... it can't be that easy to get out of a contract is it? DISCLOSURE: Thank you to Bookouture via Netgalley for providing a digital ARC of The Silent Sister by Shalini Boland for review. All opinions expressed in this review are entirely my own personal opinions.

Lizzy Beresford works at a store and has what seems to be a contented life with a steady boyfriend since 5 years. However, she has not been on talking terms with her sister for many years now, and meetings at their mother’s place are painful. All of a sudden, Lizzy starts receiving short & terse threatening letters. The police are informed, but with very little to go on, do not make much headway. She confides in her neighbours, hoping someone will see something. The threats take a serious turn with an attempt on her life. As the notes become more and more menacing, everyone becomes a suspect...her boyfriend, her best friend, her neighbors, her boss, and her estranged sister, Emma.

• Fruugo ID: 258392218-563234582
  • EAN: 764486781913
  • Sold by: Fruugo

Delivery & Returns

Fruugo

Address: UK
All products: Visit Fruugo Shop